The Resistance was a group of commoners who fought against the magicians and ended up being destroyed after trying to raid Gladstone's tomb. The leader was Mr. Pennyfeather, an old man with a resistance to magic. Only two members survived the fateful event - Kitty Jones and Nicholas Drew.
All members of the Resistance exhibit a resilience to magical attacks, and a select few could see through guises or sense magic around them. This allowed them to be able to steal magical items, mostly out of stores and homes, and store them away so the magicians couldn't have them.
In the BooksEdit
The Resistance does not make a full appearance until The Golem's Eye, but is mentioned many times in The Amulet of Samarkand. The most notable time in the first book is when one of the members uses an Elemental Sphere to try to attack the government.
- Kitty Jones - A rebellious teenager, described as tall and slender with short, dark hair. She seemed to be 16 or 17 at the start of the trilogy, although she was 13 when she first joined the Resistance. Her resilience is general invincibility to magic.
- Mr. Pennyfeather - the founder of the Resistance. Elderly, with white hair and a bald spot; he walks with a cane. He discovered he had resilience many years ago, when he retaliated against a magician who killed his wife. Was a good leader, but had a weakness for greed. His resilience was general invincibilty to magic. Died in the afrit Honorius's crypt.
- Nicholas Drew - A stocky young man in his 20's. His resilience is general invincibility to magic. Survived Honorius's crypt by virtue of fleeing instead of helping his friends; later betrays Kitty, who also survived, to John Mandrake.
- Anne Stephens - Middle-aged and black-haired. She could see through the guises of demons and track magical auras to some extent. Perished in the afrit's crypt.
- Gladys - Young blonde woman who could track magical auras. Died when a dropped sphere started a fire in a warehouse.
- Eva - 15-year-old girl with brown curly hair. Could see through the guises of demons. Noted to have outspoken opinions; killed by a demon in a house in Mayfair.
- Frederick Weaver - a tall, surly teenaged boy with acne. Could see through the guises of demons. He was notably skilled with throwing knives; however, he perished in the afrit's crypt.
- Stanley Hake - A boy of Kitty's age; he could see auras and track magical objects. He was the first victim in the afrit's crypt.
- Timothy - Teenaged boy, described as being "quiet and gentle". He could hear magical activity. Died after an encounter with the Night Police.
- Martin - Teenaged boy, described as being "slight, with dark eyes, and a thin, straight nose". He was intense and passionate and never looked anyone full in the eyes. He lost his parents to magicians at a young age. He was the one that attacked Parliament with an Elemental Sphere. He drowned in the Thames shortly after.